Monday, October 25, 2010

Journal Exercise 1

Brief: Locate an object, image or situation that is dependent upon the use of a specific colour. Alter the colour of the "object" in an attempt to directly shift its conventional meaning.

My idea came to me why working round my friends studio basement suite on 38th Main. The house is right next to the 'Mountain View Cemetery' which is a very peaceful and interesting open space which I have taken my daughter to on a few occasions. I had spent the day reading and researching the information we were given during the first session. There was a particular piece of text I found inspiring from 'David Batchlor' regarding colour mobilized in myths and legends and in what order the gods made the world. Worlds starting of colourless - then colour is generated as the worlds come to life. Colour becomes Primary not Secondary. This piece of text inspired me to work with the objects situated within the cemetary.

Initially I took a small batch of photo's at the cemetery, and then selected a photo that I felt would work the best. I then created 2 versions of the photo:






1. was adding a yellow being a primary, that would make the grave stone stand out and not fit in with its surroundings. I also did this with the intention of giving it more of an identity, making it look like a piece of random signage, waiting to be stamped with some form of graphics or graffiti. As the yellow is mellow and starts to blend well with the yellowy green grass, it starts to create a sense of calmness as you view it.



2. was linked more with the idea of the headstone generating and storing life, linked with spirituality and life after death. The subtle clean gray and outer glow obviously makes people more aware of its presence, beauty, shape and form. With a possible sense of the after life/ or in more of a spiritual enlightenment way. That's not including the ones that just ran way...



Feedback & Relection: was positive with the yellow gravestone creating more interest amongst the group, and it was mentioned that this could work as an installation art piece. I think using the yellow is the stronger of the two, because the more you look at it the more the yellow seems to fit in within its odd surroundings. We are so institutionalised to expect the expected in everyday environments, but a yellow headstone would create interest with positive and negative responses among people e.g., religion vs conceptual art.

No comments:

Post a Comment