Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Journal Excercise 5

Brief - Part A: Explore colour in relation to its anti-authoritarian potential. Show how a conscious application of colour to a traditionally "chromophobic" environment , object or image can alter the "conservative" nature of the content.

Image 1

This image represents a proud Asian man in his chef outfit. He is standing to attention, and has earned the respect and privilege of being a full ranking chef. The white represents (purity, cleanliness, perfection, truth, simplicity).


My idea: when I first saw this image I instantly thought of an authoritarian figure, and the military, that could also be for a regime fighting for territory, religion etc… or as a protector of the public more represented by the government. So I placed a military camouflage over the white with conflicting meanings, (neg: greed, poison, corrosion, inexperience) / (pos: healing, harmony, success, honesty, youth), and also dropped in a bright red dot. This to me represents blood, war, regimes, dictatorships e.g., Japan world war 2, Viet Com, and the invasion of Nan kin China, to expand in territory.


Image 2
Damian Hirst - spot art
Initial inspiration for using dots in a doctors waiting room



This environment is set in a doctors waiting room. Some people may just have the flu, their child maybe I'll and are stressed with having to take a day off work. Some patients may also have more long term illnesses. Ether way nobody likes to be I'll, or at the doctors for that matter. The waiting rooms walls are generally white (cleanliness, simplicity, purity) /or they are a soft tone of blue (health care, sky, sea, peace).



My idea: was to use dotes as a symbolic representation of illness, that is used in medical diagrams e.g., cells, and also in animations e.g., the spotty purple tongue on a dog. I generally think dotes displayed in a doctors waiting room would communicate an illness of some sort. Could have the negative affect of patients worrying more about what they have /or what they could have. The circles alone could not do this alone. So much like the tube patterned seating in the London Underground to create interest, I have placed 8 different coloured circles on the back of chairs where people are sitting. I have also place 6 circles on the bin for those patients sitting in the front, and also on the doctors entrance door.

EFFECTS
1. people now have some thing of interest to look at
2. The colours are conflicting physically, emotionally and mentally. This could maybe give people more focus, or with the blue dote (top left) bring out coldness, depression etc..

I think this would be an interesting experiment to see how people are affected by the dots. I would also try various colours in different combinations e.g., Black and blue / or a single repeat of colour e.g., blue (feeling blue), black (death), grey tones (cloudiness, uncertainty, moodiness).

Image 3

This image was interesting and controversial in the sense that you have 2 iconic people (Fidel Castro & the Pope John Paul II) shaking hands.


My idea: The black suite of the aging frail Castro represents (pos: power, authority, sophistication, seriousness, mystery, dignity, solitude) and (neg: fear, evil, secrecy, emptiness). Then you have the pope wearing a bright vibrant green shroud, that represents, (pos: fertility, growth, healing, success, nature, harmony, honesty, youth - the money is a controversial one, based on how rich the Vatican, and ways the Vatican invests its money and generates money. This could also tie in with the neg side of green which could be greed and poison. Religion causes so many problems in the world, with the third world no exception. The idea was to create more controversy in with Castro standing in all his glory in a green jacket. This would be him trying to represent himself more towards god and the church. Using this most momentous opportunity to advertise this shaking hands with the pope. Also green to give off conflicting messages, such as Castro projected as a villain, selfish and greedy/ or being colour blind.. maybe?

Part B
Brief: Take a example of a conventional "colour" subject matter and alter the image, object or environment into one vacated of an overt use of colour.

Candy Intervention:
My object(s) are coloured green sweets in a brown paper bag. My idea was to take out all the coloured candy and only keep the green ones. Based on my past memories and reflections as a child I remember never really wanting the green candy, and also offering candy to friends at school, that again generally only wanted the reds and oranges, and anything else but the greens. I decided to do a small intervention that consisted of offering green candy to members of the class to see how they react, and to then gain some written responses.

Responses:
1. Green candy... first thought: SUGAR!!
2. Green not my favourite - didn't have one sorry vegan
3. I'm hungry, will eat any colour
4. Ate 2 but I'd rather have the red ones
5. Green means go! sugar gets people to go!
6. Yummy jelly bellies - limey
7. Green maybe associated w/ healthier foods which maybe why children are less prone to choose it amongst multi-coloured candy
8. Green sweets: sugar and chemicals


Feedback: This didn't turn out how I expected with a lot of people taking the green candy when offered it. But based on the written responses I still feel having more colours in the bag would have swayed more of the groups decisions. I would like to continue this intervention further in the future...

Written component: 3 examples of how specific applications of colour attempted to create a sense of "fantasy", "otherness" or "consumer spectacle" in the design around you.



Image 1
This image I came across on my visit to the cemetary during my first journal excercise. Seeing the silouetted elephant and camel on a piece of signage was a surprise to me and very comical, especially at a place where people are buried. That in itself is a strange concept for me to comprehend, so communicating humour could well be an appropriate choice! Think having a life like model of an elephant and camel situated some where in the cemetary is well worth having. Or to make things more subtle, why not just some elephant footprints embedded into the path.


Image 2
This was one of many images I took during my research for my yellow presentation. Its a playground near 38th Main, where people leave toys for children to play with. I felt that there was a fantasy element to the space that was created by the sense of the variations in scale. The construction truck in the foreground is also complimenting other elements of the space with the colour yellow.


Image 3
After finishing my first session on the programme at Langara and walking along 49th to my car,
I came across a street post with balloons attached to it from the bottom, that must have slipped down. It was obvious that this was to celebrate the new semester, but if you didn't know the college/ or the college didn't exist it could conjure up a fantasy dream like state, especially after a few beers. I took the picture with my flash on, which helped to catch a nice glow around the sign, and enhance the image into a more magical spectical. The same image below was just an idea I had of manipulating it slightly by adding white glowing lights that could represent fire flies/ or even fairy's attracted to the glowing sign.



1. Commercial Drive Library: this is a place I go to on a regular basis. It is one of the older libraries, so it is a bit run down. E.g., only 3 of the power outlets actually work. Every thing is clean and regimented, and the use of colour is minimal. The floors are a grey patterned tone of carpet, and some of the tables are too (neutrality). The walls are a cream off white (simplicity). Book selves are a light Brown yellow where colour has again been considered as a neutral. There is an attempt to liven the atmosphere up, with the use of hanging hand painted children's banners (bright primaries & complimentary) from the ceiling above the divide of the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment